Organic grown vanilla beans. This batch is straight from a small farm in Uganda! Ugandan beans make an amazing extract that's full bodied, smooth and creamy! These are grade B extract-quality beans, which are smaller and have a lower moisture and higher vanillin content.
This listing includes beans to make 1 quart (32 oz) of extract:
- 93 grams (3.3 oz); 25-30 extract-grade vanilla beans.
- Vacuum sealed plastic pouch to ensure freshness.
- Recipe card for making extract.
- Glass bottles not included.
Why not grade A beans? Grade A beans, with their plump and shiny appearance have a higher moisture content. Chefs love them for cooking, as their flavor is more easily absorbed into a dish. However, due to the higher moisture content, they have less vanilla flavor per ounce. When making extract, we want the uglier, yet more flavorful Grade B beans.
How do I make extract? It's easy! Remove beans from package, slice in half the long way, to expose the vanilla seeds. Place in airtight quart jar and fill jar with alcohol, making sure to completely cover beans. Shake + wait!
How many beans do I need?
- To make 1 cup (8 fluid ounces) of single-fold vanilla extract, you will need 22 grams (0.8 oz) or 5-8 vanilla beans.
- To make 1 quart (32 fluid ounces) of single-fold vanilla extract, you will need 93 grams (3.3 oz) or 20-30 vanilla beans.
- We do not recommend making extract in quantities smaller than 1 cup.
What size jar do I need? This pouch will make 32 oz of vanilla extract (one quart). Or, you can split it up and make two pints (16 oz) or four cups (8 oz).
What else do I need?
- Vodka or bourbon! If you're looking for a non-alcoholic option, you can use food-grade glycerin.
- Time! Bottle should sit 6-8 weeks; 6 months is better.
- If gifting, you can decant into smaller bottles.
Gneiss Spice is plastic-free, why are these bulk beans shipped in plastic? Vanilla beans are more fragile than spices. We decided to purchase bulk beans packed by our supplier in 3.3 oz vacuum sealed plastic packets so they can be shipped straight to you, minimizing extra waste and guaranteeing they stay fresh until you decide to open them. If you prefer no plastic, please purchase our DIY Vanilla Kits shipped in glass jars.