Certified organic, fair trade and non-GMO vanilla beans. This batch is straight from a small farm in Madagascar! Madagascar beans make a smooth and creamy extract with a sweet, buttery aroma. These are grade B extract-quality beans, which are smaller, have a lower moisture and higher vanillin content.
Vanilla Extract DIY Kit will make 1 cup of vanilla extract. It includes:
- 23 grams (0.8 oz) or 6-8 extract grade vanilla beans
- 8 oz swing top glass bottle - made in Italy
- Recipe sheet included
- Alcohol not included!
The 4-Pack is packed together in a box with one set of instructions. If you need instructions for each set, please let us know in the notes at checkout.
Optional: Add cute vanilla vinyl labels, made by our partner Vinyl Goods Co.
Have Jars? Buy bulk vanilla beans here.
Why not Grade A beans? Grade A beans, with their plump and shiny appearance have a higher moisture content. Chefs love them for cooking, as their flavor is more easily absorbed into a dish. However, due to the higher moisture content, they have less vanilla flavor per ounce. When we are making extract, we want the uglier, yet more flavorful Grade B beans.
How do I make extract? It's easy! Remove beans from jar, slice in half the long way, to expose the vanilla seeds. Put back in jar and fill jar with alcohol, making sure to completely cover beans. Shake + wait!
How many beans do I need?
- To make 1 cup (8 fluid ounces) of single-fold vanilla extract, you will need 23 grams (0.8 oz) of vanilla beans; or 5-8 beans.
- To make 1 quart (32 fluid ounces) of single-fold vanilla extract, you will need 93 grams (3.3 oz) of vanilla beans; or 20-30 beans.
What else do I need?
- Vodka or bourbon! If you're looking for a non-alcoholic option, you can use food-grade glycerin.
- Time! Bottle should sit 6-8 weeks; 6 months is better.