Certified organic vanilla beans straight from a small farm in Madagascar! Madagascar beans are considered the best in the world, with their buttery, chocolatey flavor. These are grade B extract-quality beans, which are smaller, have a lower moisture and higher vanillan content.
Vanilla Extract DIY Kit will make 1 cup of vanilla extract. It includes:
- 22 grams (0.8 oz) or 6-8 extract grade vanilla beans
- 8 oz glass bottle
- Recipe included
- Alcohol not included!
Choose from a regular twist top or a fancy swing top bottle made in Italy.
Optional: Add cute vanilla vinyl labels, made by our partner Vinyl Goods Co.
Bulk vanilla beans for making one quart of extract can be found here.
Why not Grade A beans? Grade A beans, with their plump and shiny appearance have a higher moisture content. Chefs love them for cooking, as their flavor is more easily absorbed into a dish. However, due to the higher moisture content, they have less vanilla flavor per ounce. When we are making extract, we want the uglier, yet more flavorful Grade B beans.
How do I make extract? It's easy! Remove beans from jar, slice in half the long way, to expose the vanilla seeds. Put back in jar and fill jar with alcohol, making sure to completely cover beans. Shake + wait!
How many beans do I need?
- To make 1 cup (8 fluid ounces) of single-fold vanilla extract, you will need 22 grams (0.8 oz) of vanilla beans; or 6-8 beans.
- To make 1 quart (32 fluid ounces) of single-fold vanilla extract, you will need 93 grams (3.3 oz) of vanilla beans; or 25-30 beans.
What else do I need?
- Vodka or bourbon! If you looking for a non-alcoholic option, you can use food-grade glycerin.
- Time! Bottle should sit 6-8 weeks; 6 months is better.